Dyer Vent Cleaning - Prevent A Fire By Cleaning Your Dryer Vent

Dyer Vent Cleaning - Prevent A Fire By Cleaning Your Dryer Vent

Do you know--- Solely 60% of the lint is captured within the lint trap of residential and business clothes dryers. The other 40% is vented outside. Over time, the damp lint accumulates to the inside of the duct. The outcome is sort of a clogged pipe that becomes more restricted over time which can cause a fire hazard! According to the Nationwide Fire Safety Association, sixteen,000 fires start within the laundry room every year.

Additionally, the Consumer Product Security Commission estimates more than 84.4 million in property damage annually. This is a reality that needs to be taken seriously. The State Fire Marshal recommends that your dryer vent be cleaned or inspected annually to ensure your safety.


Listed below are some signs your dryer vent would possibly want cleaning:

If it takes longer than one cycle for your garments to dry, or the garments are highly regarded after drying, this is a good sign your vent wants cleaning.
If the clothes have a musty smell after drying.
If your dryer shuts off or stops during a cycle, the element could also be getting too sizzling from the duct restriction.
If there's an excessive amount of lint escaping from the back of the dryer.
If the outside vent has lint overlaying the outside of the vent cover.
Here are the advantages of a clean dryer vent:
Reduce laundry drying times
Avoid dryer aspect alternative prices
Improve the quality of dried clothes dryer vent cleaning
Lower your expenses on utility bills
Stop a dryer fire!
So, how do you go about cleaning your dryer vent. Listed below are the steps if you plan to do it yourself.
1. Get the appropriate tools. For this job you will have a shop vac and extension hose of no less than 10 to fifteen feet, relying on the size of the dryer vent outside to your dryer. Subsequent, you'll need a flexible cable with a brush on the end (might be discovered on-line) to snake by means of the duct, and finally, a dust masks and gloves to guard yourself from the airborne lint.

2. Disconnect your dryer from the versatile duct and clear the back of the dryer and any lint that has accrued below the dryer. Check the flexible duct and substitute it with a new one if it is damaged or has holes. The primary part of the process will involve running the flexible cable and vacuum from the inside of the house by your dryer. The second part of the process involves the identical thing only from the outside by your dryer vent that goes to the outside.

3. Run the flexible snake with brush by the dryer vent duct so far as you may go, watch out not to push past any turns or angles that might cause the cable to get caught within the ductwork, in any other case you will have a difficult time getting it out. Vacuum out the unfastened lint with the shop vac and hose. Run the hose as far into the duct as you'll be able to go.

4. Locate where your dryer vents to the outside of the house. Remove any dryer vent hardware to entry the duct.

5. Repeat the process from the outside, running your flexible cable into the duct (toward the dryer) and vacuum out the unfastened lint. Observe this by hooking the dryer back up to the versatile duct inside the house and switch the dryer on, any remaining lint will blow out of the duct. Finally, exchange any hardware on the outside of the house.